Circus in Africa: an Ivorian perspective
- Kahwa - Euro-African meetings
This publication follows the third KAWHA meeting, which took place in Abidjan (Ivory Coast) from March 6 to 9 2020, in the frame of the third edition of the RICA – Intercultural Circus encounters – and the MASA – Abidjan Performing Arts Market. The meeting was organised by Circostrada, in partnership with La Fabrique Culturelle and the French Institute from Ivory Coast and gathered many African and European circus professionals, including a delegation of Circostrada members.
During these few days, participants could take part in a rich programme featuring among other things: sharing and brainstorming sessions, interactive workshops, professional meetings, artistic programming, roundtables, visits of local cultural venues, which enabled them to get a real picture of the circus ecosystem in Ivory Coast and Africa in general.
This publication provides the context, knowledge, meetings and the experience gained through this Ivorian interlude.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Abidjan, the rallying force of circus
- The stakes and realities of circus arts in Ivory Coas and Africa
- Three African circus players team up on a co-production project
- Overview of the companies who performed at the RICA 2020
- Professional corner: overview of the field's players
- Next meetings