Since 2003, Circostrada Network works to develop and structure the fields of Circus and Street Arts in Europe and beyond. With 84 members from 25 countries, it contributes to build a sustainable future for these sectors by empowering cultural players through the production of resources and actions of observation and research, professional exchanges, advocacy, capacity-building and information.
Circostrada Network is:
A platform to meet, exchange, and develop projects:
- Work Groups of the network develop its key strategic projects: pilot programmes, Fresh seminars and advocacy actions
- 2 bi-annual General Meetings for its members with: tailored programmes to meet the artistic and cultural local scene, newsrounds, workshops, work group sessions and more
An international forum to meet and reflect on the sustainable development of circus and street arts in a global environment:
- “Fresh Street” and “Fresh Circus”, flagship international seminars open to all cultural players
A network engaged in a continuous dialogue through tailored projects and meetings with:
- Public policy makers – to advocate for better recognition of circus and street arts, from a local to a European scale
- The umbrella organisations for training and education - to improve the synergies between the academic and the professional fields, and further the professional integration of artists
- Other sectors and disciplines – to develop fertile synergies and encourage the fostering of new ideas
A laboratory to explore new topics, representative of the evolution of our fields in a changing environment:
- 3 current pilot programmes focusing on "adapting to change - innovation", "audience engagement" and data-collection on our fields
A virtual European resource centre, accessible to all:
- Online publications: studies, guides, reports of the network’s conferences and seminars
- Dissemination of news and key resources for the sector, on a European scale
A network engaged in international cooperation:
- Study programmes abroad to deepen the exchange of knowledge and know-how with third countries.
Core objectives and missions of Circostrada: to work towards the development and structuring of street arts and circus arts on the European scale.
If these sectors demonstrate a high level of artistic dynamism throughout Europe, they need a space for exchanges, co-operation, reflection and professional representation at the European level. Circostrada Network wishes to fulfill this need by contributing to the circulation of information within these artistic milieus, by favouring meetings and co-operation between European professionals and by carrying out common actions to further the recognition of these artistic forms. As member of the civil society, Circostrada Network wishes to provide and disseminate quality professional information to EU institutions, researchers and professionals of the cultural field, regional and national policymakers.
Key focuses are:
- Developing professional exchanges, exchange of information and communication
- Working on different scales of territories, giving the means for an exchange of knowledge and know-how between countries where circus and street arts are facing different levels of development, and learning from different contexts
- Advocating for a better recognition for circus and street arts, in a dialogue with institutions working from the local to the European level
- Developing the synergies between the academic and the professional fields to strenghten professional integration
Circus and street arts in the network
|Discipline||Nombre de structures|
|circus & street arts||22|
Who the members are
|circus||street arts||circus & street arts||multidisciplinary|
|resource / information provider||0|
What the members do
|nombre de structures|
|mentoring / practical support||47|
|cultural participation projects targeting specific audiences||45|
|training / education / professional||45|
|facilitating professional meetings||44|
|documentation and observation||19|
|exporting artistic work||1|
Building on 10 year of experience and the expertise of its growing number of members, Circostrada Network also sets new priorities, representative of the evolution of the cultural field.
- Adapting to a changing world: The starting point could be: we work with creative people but are we creative enough ourselves when it comes to imagining the evolution of our work processes and our development models? Circostrada wishes to bring cultural players to reflect together on the development of their fields, in a constant dialogue with other sectors and disciplines, to learn from their experiences and develop new food for thought for a stronger development of circus and street arts.
- Access to culture: How do we engage with our audience? How can we learn from our different experiences? For the first time, the network seize these questions, for best practices to emerge and be shared, and to give a better understanding of how circus and street arts are tackling these issues
- Cooperation with other networks: Circostrada undertakes to develop joint strategies with colleague cultural network, a key action to ensure a stronger and more relevant impact of our actions in terms of communication, dissemination of information and representation, and to work together on shared issues on a European scale.
- Observation: Few data exist on circus and street arts at a European level. Circostrada builds on the high number of members present in the network to put forward new in-depth information on their activities, creating new data on these sectors. The network also aims to have a better understanding of the specificities of each region when it comes to the development of circus and street arts, and undertakes to start this in-depth research by looking at the newly acceding and candidate countries of the EU.
- Diversity: Circostrada strives to develop the diversity of its members, both in terms of discipline, for a better representation of street arts, and in terms of geography, with a key focus given to newly acceding and candidate countries and of the EU so that they may fully take part in this international cooperation.